Friday, May 27, 2011

Leaving My Students Easier, Thanks to Mrs. Beverly!

Packing up my career life of the past 6 years (15 years in my total teaching life) is harder than I thought it would be.  I am lost in the details... end paperwork, posting grades, packing personal curriculum, organizing school's materials, storing supplies, storing materials and storing more supplies... teacher's have a lot of stuff!

Thanks to the smiles and cheers of my students and coworkers, leaving is emotionally easy.  While I am going to miss all of my gifted and talented students (some of whom I have taught for four years), I feel so good about the hands in which I am leaving them, Mrs. Beverly.

Of course, I haven't always felt so great about Mrs. Beverly.

Due to budget cuts last school year, I left the comfort (now a luxury) of teaching at only one school and stretched myself to serve an additional 46 students at Macedonia Elementary.  There, I met Mrs. Beverly with whom I was forced to team teach.  I walked in with a chip on my shoulder the size of Stone Mountain.   I detested the idea of teaching in the same room with another teacher.  To be honest, I thought it was a complete waste of time for one teacher.  I did not work well with others and had no desire for self-improvement in this area.   While I was grumpy about this development at the time, I realize now how fortunate I was to have the opportunity to work with such a gifted educator and to make a wonderful new friend at the same time.  Beverly, ever patient, smiled and nodded at my extemporaneous speech about how I taught: my beliefs and methods. How I was doing it my way and she could "go up an alley and holler fish" to quote Gomer Pyle.  I made my point as congenially as possible, being a Southener, but Beverly got my point.  Over that school year, she let me whirl about the room my way, but showed me the way to teach with precision.  I learned to slow down and listen to the students and to weight my objectives equally with theirs.  She was also my therapist.  Each morning and afternoon, she listened to my non-stop narrative of our insane life of sports practices, dance and music lessons, church activities and band practices; the life of non-stop working to give meaning to family.  She helped me see the maddness in our modern family life.

I look at that year now as my therapy year.  I should pay her a counseling fee, but don't tell her that; we need the money for traveling.

This school year, I missed the luxury of having two teachers in a classroom of 27 gifted students.  The budget crisis increased along with my class size.  Gifted classrooms went from having a maximum class size of 17 to 25 in two years.  Next year, the new maximum size is 33.  Thirty-three gifted and talented children in one room with only one teacher to attempt to meet their needs and answer their unending questions is what's really insane!  But it is no longer my problem. :-)

Thank you, Beverly, for your support, your encouragement and your friendship!  You are lucky to work with these incredible kids and they are so lucky to work with you!

1 comment:

  1. "You've got a friend in me
    You've got a friend in me.
    When the road looks rough ahead
    And you're miles and miles
    From your nice warm bed.
    Just remember what your old pal said,
    Jenny, you've got a friend in me".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! Heaven knows, I need some interaction...