Friday, May 18, 2012

Southern Family Goes to London...

Thanks, Shannon, for the cool pic!
Today is my birthday.  Normally, I would spend it with a fun family outing to the Atlanta Zoo or nearby park enjoying a gorgeous spring day.  This year, it is cloudy with a chance of rain and I am inside planning our last big family field trip to a place that is usually "cloudy with a chance of rain": the United Kingdom.

Planning has taken on a life of its own.  I've learned through traveling the USA with three kids that planning makes or breaks a trip.  Organizing an oversea's adventure has become my full-time job.  But what an exhilarating occupation!  When you get hooked on traveling, just making a reservation can give you a contact high.  I've always enjoyed having something to look forward to and planning a vacation or party is a huge part of that enjoyment.  But nothing beats the real thing.  When we land in London next week, we will be prepared for a once in a lifetime family experience.  All I have to do now is pack...

So my birthday gifts to myself are to spend the afternoon finalizing our tickets, confirming accommodations, packing for UK weather (did I mention it will most likely be cloudy with a chance of rain?) and arranging transportation for London... no "riding on a pony" for this family, and to spend tonight celebrating our trip and the end of our long stay on Fripp Island with our new friends in Beaufort County.  How is it that you can be sad to be leaving and happy to be going at the same time?

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and commenting! Heaven knows, I need some interaction...