Friday, July 29, 2011

My Problem with Education

My problem with education is... it starts too darn early!  Oscar Wilde said it best: "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast!"  It is 1:39 AM and I am wide awake so my chances of being brilliant in the morning are slim and none.  Which brings me back to my biggest problem with education in America.  It starts at the crack of dawn!

How are we supposed to be functioning, period, let alone instilling knowledge and wisdom into the minds of tomorrow's leaders at 7:15 in the morning?  Who started this trend?  Who sets the time school starts?  I would like to give them a piece of my mind!  If I were that person, I would see the wisdom in sleeping soundly till 8:30, breakfasting at 9, and ready to begin work by 10 AM.  I would gladly teach until 5 PM and I'm sure do a much better job, too (being awake has that affect on me.)  It seems crazy to end school at 2:15 when most parents are still at work.  Wouldn't it be easier to begin later and end later?

And wouldn't it change the mood at school?  Some kids arrive so angry... no one in their home got enough sleep so everyone yells and the kids arrive ready to jump on the first person who crosses their path.

And what about the all important tests?  Who among us are ready to take long, multiple choice tests at 8 AM?  Not me, but that's what these poor kids have to do!

I believe a simple solution (and practically cost free!) for improving education in America would be to push the start time back 2 hours.  I think student morale and test scores would increase dramatically!  It would definitely cut down on absenteeism and tardiness (and the students would get there on time, too.)

I know this is not my problem this sabbatical year, but as I glanced at the clock while I was laying out breakfast for tomorrow, I was gratefully thinking, "Thank Heavens, I don't have to get up early in the morning!"  My condolences to those of you who do.

1 comment:

  1. After working in close quarters with you for a year I agree that you are not a morning person-but you could fake it pretty good. I'm off to bed, as I have been getting up in the morning (and going to your job). I'll give some thought to your proposal.....while I sleep....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! Heaven knows, I need some interaction...