Saturday, August 13, 2011

Car for Sale....Sold!


We sold my Volvo in less than five days.  I think this has freaked me out the most because I have had a car of my own since I turned 16.  Greg assured me that he would share, but it's just not the same.

We decided to sell the Volvo to simplify things (we only need one vehicle this year and Greg's Excursion is bigger and better for traveling) and add to our savings for traveling.  We meant to sell it as soon as I finished SIG at Emory, but time got away from us so we decided to wait and sell it in South Carolina. When I couldn't sleep Tuesday night, I went ahead and put it on Craig's List.  What the heck, right?  It's free.  By Friday, I had three potential buyers lined up to see it over the weekend.  On Saturday, the first couple who came to view it bought it on the spot.  As they were pulling away, I suddenly felt sad and realized what a change we really were making in our lives.  But was it a change for the better?  Not only did I not have a job and a home, but now I didn't have a car.  Was I still an American if I don't have a job, a home and a car?  I really didn't know.  I hoped so.  All I knew was that I felt weird all of a sudden.  Unnatural.

When I told my friends and family about selling my car so fast they made me feel better by putting it into perspective:  the ease and speed of the sale is just another sign that we are doing the right thing.  I don't know why, but it makes me happy to think the universe is behind us.  Are the stars really lining up just for us?  Of course not, but I am getting excited again about the possibilities of this year.


I'm not a fatalist, but it does go back to what I wrote about earlier:  We made a decision and then proceeded as if it was going to happen.  It reminds me of a line from one of my favorite movies, Under the Tuscan SunMartini says to Frances when she is doubting the crazy changes she has made in her life, "Between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew some day, the train would come."   We have been planning for this family adventure knowing some day it would come.  It looks like someday is today so I better be ready.  So long Volvo!  Hello traveling money!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! Heaven knows, I need some interaction...